Weekend Coffee Share

 


Weekend Coffee Share is a time for us to take a break out of our lives and enjoy some timely catching up with friends (old and new)!


If we were having coffee, I'd begin by screaming. I know that's rude, but I can't help it. This new job is frustrating. The training was abysmal. Unprofessional, confusing and hurried. All the while the people giving it kept saying "I know you can't remember most of this but . . . "


But there are better ways to train so more can be retained. First start by using the appropriate media. Not everything should be taught with PowerPoint. Second, don't talk too fast. Third allow questions. You might not want questions throughout your talk, but allow some time at some point for them. (Only one person forbid questions.) Sometimes comments like "Your mic isn't working" are essential for any good to come from a presentation. Fourth use fonts people can read. Embedding a two page letter into a slide that's embedded into a Microsoft Teams presentation results in type that's impossible to read.


I could go on. Typical of government work. What have I gotten myself into? I will say my Team Leader is good. He communicates clearly and understands what it's like to be a beginner. I've got good teammates too for this telework job. Boy, some admitted to bursting into tears due to this training and the job. That's not needed. It seems no one with experience training ever took a look at this process. I bet there's a big turnover. I'd be lying if I didn't say I have thought of throwing in the towel. 


Ahh.


Friday I went out for dinner with some local friends. Wouldn't you know that when I got to my car, there was a note from someone who hit the front bumper. It did put the bumper off kilter and knocked out a front light that's embedded in it so I can't just leave it. The car owner was nice and will take care of the expense, but the trouble is I work till 7 every night so it's tough to find a place to get an estimate. It'll work out somehow. I did decide to wait to next week to tackle this problem. 





On Saturday to commemorate September 11th, I attended a requiem mass at St. John Cantius in Chicago. The mass honored all who died on September 11th, from effects of that event and those who've died in terrorist attacks. Afterwards we proceeded outside and the priest blessed first responders. It was a fitting way to honor the brave.


I also went to Sunday mass at St. Stanislaus Kostka and they also commemorated the 20th Anniversary of this fateful day. It's one that shouldn't be forgotten even as we heal. 


I watched the light hearted A Touch of Mink with Doris Day and Cary Grant. It's far-fetched and implausible but I needed something light.




Comments

  1. Sorry to read about your job and car troubles. At least the person who hit your car left you a note and didn't leave you hanging completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a challenging week. I hope your weekend is everything you need it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your car and job issues. I hope you have a nice weekend and a much better week next week. Thank you for linking up with #Weekendcoffeeshare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI SMK. I was employed as an educator for many years and like you, saw all kinds of terrible things attempted in the name of education so I have a long list of things you can do to make sure that no one learns anything in your class. You nailed several of them. I have a story about one time when an idea that came to me when teaching a computer science class for UC Berkeley. You might get a kick out of it and I try to share it with anyone in education with the hopes that a few might try it and thus cause lots of both interest and learning to happen even while taking a test. It was great fun and over the top successful.
    https://garyawilsonstories.wordpress.com/my-rowdy-approach-to-giving-exams/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sepia Saturday

Mural Monday