Weekend Coffee Share

 


Weekend Coffee Share is a time for us to take a break out of our lives and enjoy some timely catching up with friends (old and new)!


If we were having coffee, I'd begin by sharing the good news that I've heard from Nahid, one of my students from Afghanistan. She's now in France with her married brother, his wife, her other brother and sister. (Both her parents have passed away.) There's another brother who's lived in Paris for a few years. First they went to Paris but on Wednesday were moved to Tour. She told me Tour was the name of her town, and that it's in the South of France. The only French town I know of with a name like that is Tours. I'd like some clarification because I do have a friend in a small town in the south of France, who might be able to help her. 


It's a big relief that she and her family are safe. The other two students are stuck. Sharifa is still in Kandahar and Homira's family is still in Kabul. It's frightful. Homira told me that her father works at a bank. People are limited on the amount of money they can withdraw each day. Some people have gone and withdrawn their amount and then been shot and robbed on their way home. Chaos reigns. 


----------


As for more local happenings, we celebrated my mother's birthday at a steak house. All the local children and grandchildren came. On Thursday my sister who lives in Utah came to visit and attend her friend's wedding tonight. 


Last night the community had an end of summer party. We got to meet some people who're nodding acquaintances from my daily walks. Luckily, the rain clouds didn't let loose. I tried elote pizza for the first time. It's a new favorite.


I've been approved for my job at the Small Business Administration. Now I'm awaiting the delivery of a computer for this work at home job. I'm still unclear as to what I'll do, but by working in Asia, I've learned to cope with ambiguity. I hope to begin on Wednesday. 





Monday I went to the Lincoln Park Zoo. The weather was glorious. I was disappointed that few animals were on view. Many buildings were closed and many animals weren't out in the habitats.  This zoo is free and rather compact so it's easy to see a lot in a visit. 



The only open building I saw





Comments

  1. Good news that your Afghan student is safe - it must be such a worrying time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm delighted that she's safe and hope the others will soon bel.

      Delete
  2. So good to hear even a bit of good news from such a sad corner of the world.
    Congrats on the new job. Hope it works out to be everything you're hoping for.
    Blesssings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comments. Time will tell what will happen in Central Asia, particularly in Afghanistan in the near future.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sepia Saturday

Mural Monday

Sepia Saturday