Sepia Saturday

 


Sepia Saturday has challenged bloggers with a photo of a man playing solitaire. Playing cards, solo or with others, is a fine pastime. I fondly remember my grandmother teaching me and my siblings to shuffle cards and play gin. An aunt tried to teach us poker. Bridge is a game that seems to have ended with my mother's generation. She still plays, but I never learned. (I do have one friend from high school who joined the high school bridge club. Now I wish I had.)

Here's what I found while searching the Library of Congress archives.


Opper, Frederick Burr, Artist. McKinley has almost all the chips; - but the game is young, yet / F.Opper. , 1894. N.Y.: Published by Keppler & Schwarzmann, January 3. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2012648746/.

Poker. , 1902. [United States: publisher not transcribed] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018696743/.

Siegel, Arthur S, photographer. Detroit, Michigan. Poker hand and hands of girl players. Wayne County United States Michigan Detroit, 1941. Summer. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2017844190/.


A Touch of the Times. England, ca. 1720. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2002719527/.



Gillray, James, Engraver. Lady Godina's rout; - or - Peeping-Tom spying out Pope-Joan / Js. Gy. d: et f. Great Britain, 1796. [London: H. Humphrey, th] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2001695089/.

Stacy, George, Publisher. The Whist party. , None. [New york, n.y.: george stacy, between 1861 and 1866] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2017647825/.


Comments

  1. And then there were all those religious people who forbid the playing of cards (and dancing I do believe!) It's interesting to see these photos which do look at the fun of those decadent folks, whether or not they were truly decadent. I learned gin, solitaire, canasta and a bit of bridge from my mother...but alas, no poker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned poker a little, but never got the rules down pat. Gin, solitaire, Go Fish, War, and Crazy Eights were our main games. I had a job where I learned Euchre one summer, but I can't remember that.

      Delete
  2. You've dealt some fine cards for us this weekend. It's interesting how words and phrases from card games continue to be used (or misused) in our vocabulary. My least favorite term is "double down" from blackjack. It's so overused by journalists that it's meaning has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice retrospective on card playing. I personally love solitaire -- the original with cards, not the online version. My mom was a bridge player. But our main family card game was "pitch" -- which I believe is played mainly in upstate New York. Always a favorite when my family gets together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how regional a lot of games are. I'm trying to think of an Australian card game I was taught on a tour of China. I was rotten at it.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your selections. Several years ago I was determined to learn bridge with some friends but life had other plans. Maybe when this pandemic is over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your link for this week (9/18) doesn't seem to be working on SS

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sepia Saturday

Mural Monday

Sepia Saturday