Sepia Saturday

 It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas


For this week's Sepia Saturday I thought I'd share photos from my visit to Old World Wisconsin. Last week a friend and I visited this historic site in Eagle, Wisconsin to see it's Christmas festivities.

Old World Wisconsin is a place where they've gathered and restored buildings from the 19th Century. In December on the weekend's they're open to show visitors how Christmas was celebrated over 100 years ago.



In the town's church, which was the first Catholic church in Milwaukee, visitors could sing carols. The performers read a Christmas passage from a Little House on the Prairie book. They also brought kids up from the audience and they read "The Night Before Christmas."



Ready for Christmas morning.




This room is set up for a cobweb party. Each guest has a color of string and they have to unravel the string to get to their Christmas gift. I wonder what other kinds of parties they had back then.









This little girl was captivated by the antique toys. 

Click here to see more Sepia Saturday posts.

Comments

  1. What a treat to see a Christmas celebration from yesteryear! I would get a big kick out of seeing and experiencing those old toys and yummy foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure would. I loved seeing how the young kids were entranced by the old toys.

      Delete
  2. The cobweb party looks intricate! I've never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. When I have some free time (probably after the holidays) I'd like to do some research on this and other quirky party themes.

      Delete
  3. What a fun thing to do! Special ways to begin the holidays are neat. Here in my area, there is a big night time lighted Christmas parade the night after Thanksgiving to start things off. We've never been but I've been thinking lately despite the parking problems and the crowds, it might be fun to see it at least once! Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to the parade next year. There's so many fun holiday things to do and so little time.

      Delete
  4. That looks like my kind of simple Christmas! Here in Asheville the Biltmore Estate is lavishly decorated for the season and each year a team of horses brings in a 30 foot tall tree to the grand entrance. Its installed in the Vanderbilt's banquet hall and assembled with 1000 ornaments in one day. But because their season is so long, after a few weeks a second tree is exchanged for the first, and the replacement happens magically overnight. It's only the biggest of dozens and dozens of Christmas trees that are arranged throughout the mansion and grounds.

    Recently I volunteered to organize a Sepia Saturday chat group for our small club. If you'd like to participate, would you drop me a note at "mkbrbkr" at the geemail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Biltmore is on my bucket list. I'd love to see a video of them switching those trees out. What an undertaking. I'll email you soon.

      Delete
  5. I love these creations of Christmas past. I have never heard of a Cobweb Party before - an intriguing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heartwarming photos for the holiday season. I love the Cobweb Party, which would still make a great party today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of these old traditions, old toys and old food would still be enjoyed today.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mural Monday