Happy New Year!





Bain News Service, Publisher. Cafe, New Year's Eve. , ca. 1910. [Between and Ca. 1915]
Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2014694999/.

My Sepia Saturday post this week commemorates New Year's Eve with photos from the Library of Congress and vintage cards I've found.

At Hotel Prosperity all the tables have been reserved. How about that?

Keppler, Udo J., Artist. New Year's eve at the hotel prosperity / Kep. , 1909. N.Y.: Published by Keppler & Schwarzmann, Puck Building. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2011647535/.

Federal Theatre Project, U.S., Sponsor. "Vaudeville frolic" 15 acts: Gala midnight show New Year's eve. San Diego California, None. [California: federal art project, between 1936 and 1941] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/98516889/

I've checked an inflation calculator for these prices. Thirty-five cents in 1936 is $7.00 now and 55¢ is $11.00. So entertainment is a category where prices have really skyrocketed.

I didn't know there was a connection with pineapples and New Year's.






To see more Sepia Saturday posts, click here




II

Comments

  1. Lovely collection of New Year cards. I think pineapples, as exotic fruit, was considered a luxury back in those days. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your thoughts on pineapples makes sense. Then it would be like champaign.

      Delete
    2. The pineapples are definitely interesting and what Monica writes makes sense.

      Delete
  2. You've chosen a fine festive mix for the new year. The last postcard resonates with me as I often feel like my yearly resolutions are dragging me downhill too! Let's hope 2022 brings more pineapples.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sepia Saturday

Mural Monday

Sepia Saturday