Sepia Saturday

This week Sepia Saturday challenges bloggers to share images inspired by the photo above. I went on a hunt at the Library of Congress for bevies of beauty. Here's what I found.


Ukiyo-e prints are one of my favorite forms of art


Hosoda, Eishi, Artist. Sumiyoshi Odori. Japan, None. [Between 1791 and 1793] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2008660549/.

Three Women. , 1879. Nov. 7. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2004669495/.

American Colony . Photo Department, photographer. Bethlehem Women. West Bank Bethlehem, None. [Between 1898 and 1914] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019694918/.


Thomson, J, photographer. Group of Chinese women. Shanghai China, None. [Between 1870 and 1872] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2011660127/.


Fashions for Women. , 1894. [United States: publisher not transcribed] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018695641/.

Quarterly report of metropolitan fashions. Herbst. , 1895. [New York: publisher not transcribed] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018695681/.

Comments

  1. Love the fashion images - but how uncomfortable most of those clothes look... Makes me understand why wealthy women of the past needed lady's maids, though!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You couldn't put on these clothes without help. I suppose the maids helped each other and poorer women had sisters. Kimonos aren't at all easy to put on.

      Delete
  2. Quite the variety of style in your images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A splendid medley of fashions. I recently watched a YouTube video of a Japanese master print maker that demonstrated the intricate steps used to produce multi-colored prints like your first image. Its fascinating to see both the wood carving and the block printing.

    I believe The Three Women print shows three women competing in "race walking". It was a fad in the 1870s-80s that sometimes, at least for men, went on for days in a kind of endurance test. I suspect betting was involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've enlightened me. Thanks! I'll look for that video. When I lived in Japan, a friend, another American, competed in a kimono contest where the winner did the best job putting one on. A local woman trained her and my friend won the regional contest in the foreigners category.

      Delete
    2. You've enlightened me. Thanks! I'll look for that video. When I lived in Japan, a friend, another American, competed in a kimono contest where the winner did the best job putting one on. A local woman trained her and my friend won the regional contest in the foreigners category.

      Delete
  4. All are interesting and well-chosen photos, but I especially liked the 1890s fashion shots. Sometimes you really have to wonder about fashion designers and the crazy things they come up with - and the fact that women fall for them no matter how ridiculous they look. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sepia Saturday

Mural Monday

Sepia Saturday