Red-Handed: How American Elites Get Rich Helping China Win

 


Peter Schweizer's Red-Handed, How American Elites Get Rich Helping China Win explains how powerful government, business and academic leaders cash in with big pay offs from China. I already knew about many of the examples, like the NBA, the Bushes, Mitch McConnell and the Bidens. I also knew that American colleges will sweep problems under the rug to continue lucrative deals with China. (I could write a book on that.) 

However, I wasn't aware of how Former Secretaries of State, Kissinger and Albright cashed in on their relationships formed when in office as they opened up consulting firms focused on China. They made fortunes bowing to China's best interests. 

Because I worked in higher education the bulk of my teaching career and spent more time teaching in China for an American college, I was most interested in the chapter on academics. I was saddened to learn that though Yale admitted Hong Kong dissident Nathan Law when he was in danger in China, they tried their best to keep him quiet on campus since their donors from China only wanted the party line discussed. Other colleges try to protect China and it's propaganda by limited what speakers and guests come to campus. Many won't invite the Dali Lama because China doesn't want him to. (Hats off to my alma mater Loyola University Chicago who did have the Dali Lama speak on campus in 2012.

Red-Handed is thoroughly researched with lots of citations. It's not too dense so you're not slogging through it. The tone is matter of fact rather than inflammatory. It's one book among many that people should read to understand our foreign policy.


PS It's always surprised me how Bill Gates, Microsoft and film companies like Disney, whose products are widely pirated, put up with China's theft. I reported the software piracy to Microsoft and they never even emailed me for more details. I figure about 2 copies of the software are bought and paid for, while the rest are copies of the original.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mural Monday

Sepia Saturday

Sepia Saturday