Mirror (1975)

 


Haunting and challenging, Andrei Tarkovsky's Mirror isn't an easy film. It's intriguing, beautiful and poetic as it depicts the dreams and memories of a dying poet. We rarely see the narrator of the film. We see his memories of life before and during WWII as well as conversations in the 1960s and 1970s. 

Rather than a linear plot, the film consists of dreams, images (plenty of mirrors are shown). The most compelling scenes for me focussed on his ex-wife and their conversations about custody of their teenage son. The film drew me in and mystified me. I felt that I need to do some research to make more sense of Mirror so that I can better understand it. I understand that a lot of movie lovers don't have the time or patience to invest in decoding a movie so it's not for everyone, but if you're curious and willing to be perplexed as well as mystified, watch Mirror. Your library probably has it or can get it. 

Below is a 17 minute video explaining Mirror






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sepia Saturday

Mural Monday

Sepia Saturday