Weekend Coffee Share

 


Weekend Coffee Share is a time for us to take a break out of our lives and enjoy some timely catching up with friends (old and new)!


If we were having coffee, I'd tell you that it's been a busy week and a time to see friends from out of town. On Tuesday I had dinner with a friend who's visiting from France. I hadn't seen Kristi or her son since December 2019 before the lockdown. I'm glad she was able to come here since her mother and stepdad hadn't seen their grandson since then. 


Last night my high school friends had a mini-reunion because a friend was in town from Georgia. About 10 of us were invited to a fun evening at a fellow alumna's home. I hadn't seen many of these women in years. All are doing well and I was reminded of funny stories I had forgotten or had never heard.


I'm having trouble getting a letter from my former employer Clark University, which I need for my SBA job. I just need a verification and I'm on to my fourth person. The first two never replied. Then the third person had an automatic reply stating that she's leaving Clark on Sept. 23rd so people should email her replacement. I was surprised that one could more or less do no work for 5 weeks as one transitions to another job.


I'm watching Andrei Tarkovsky's Mirror, an intriguingly bizarre film. 



I decided not to attend a book club discussion at the library. I had read the play, but masks were required and I'm tired of wearing masks for long durations. It wasn't some huffy protest. Our town and the one near me is over 90% vaccinated. We have 27 cases or .07% of the population. I understand that in the beginning of the pandemic widespread standards would be adopted, but now for and places that draw from a small circle, decisions should be made with more precision.


I am happy to report that I finally figured out where to find COVID and other health data by town. I didn't realize we had county public health departments. Those had data by town. (States like Illinois just show data by county.)


I'm continuing to job hunt because who knows if the Small Business Administration (SBA) job will fall through.


I explored the Uptown neighborhood of Chicago since they were holding an Art Week. Then had muralists painting on hew surfaces (walls and cement) to brighten up the neighborhood. Here's a few samples.









Comments

  1. Not heard of that movie. Nice street art. I think the masks are here to stay as the highly vaxxed countries like Israel and Iceland are finding out. Hopefully soon we got on top of this thing and figure it out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right about the masks. The street art is fun, such a good way to make a neighborhood welcoming and fun.

      Delete
  2. That street art is amazing. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your last photo of the artist at work and his mural. Thank you for linking up with #weekendcoffeeshare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to participate in #weekendcoffeeshare, which is a great way to take stock of a week.

      Delete
  4. Hi SMK. I agree. I've about had it with masks. I don't want to be a cynic about the covid data, but the only data I trust now is when I'm told by someone I know who has first hand experience with a covid related situation. My problem is that there is so much politics and out right fraud with all the public covid numbers that I just don't trust any of it any more. It amazed me that as covid deaths shot up that deaths from lots of other things dropped unbelievably.

    I love the idea of good public art, but there's art and then there's graffiti and while I love the first, I think the second is just vandalism, so art in that same style just annoys me because our cities are often already ruined by all the graffiti they got for free and can't seem to get rid of.

    Well, that was a pretty negative response. I'll do better next week - I promise.

    I hope you get that letter. My son has been trying to get some work from a college he went to a few years ago and they don't seem to feel the need to do their jobs either.

    Gracious, I'm on a negative roll here. I'll stop now and maybe track down a glass of whine.

    Blessings (despite me today. . .)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Murals can be so beautiful. I agree on the masks. It's getting old. I'm looking forward to Sunday stills in a few weeks when the theme is murals...I've been intentionally trying to find some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess it’s not surprising you had more problems with Clark University. Were you ever able to get that employment verification letter from them?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sepia Saturday

Mural Monday

Sepia Saturday