Weekend Coffee Share

 

Weekend Coffee Share is a time for us to take a break out of our lives and enjoy some timely catching up with friends (old and new)!


If we were having coffee, I'd say though I had a terrific week, all I can think about is the situation in Afghanistan. I've written before that I have tutored girls and young women in Afghanistan over Skype for a Canadian NGO for 10 years. 


Now these young women are fearing for their lives or for their families. Currently I tutor Nahid on Sunday nights and Homira on Tuesday evenings. Nahid's a dentist in Kabul. As expected, I didn't hear from her this Sunday.  Tuesday I got an email from The Alliance for International Women's Rights (AIWR) for whom I volunteer. They said they knew of a private evacuation effort by a security outfit called Raven Advisory, LLC. The urged mentors to get their mentees to send their personal data to AIWR for a chance, albeit a slim one, to get on an evacuation flight. I notified Nahid and she got her information to me yesterday. 


Homira is in Toronto as a refugee and wants to get her family (2 parents, 3 siblings) out. She's called her MP, but was given the run around, told to call the Prime Minister. That seemed to just put her petition in a longer line. When we spoke on Tuesday, Homira told me that her sisters and mother haven't left their house. The older sisters and mother can't work. The father does any shopping and his salary must cover all their costs. 


Sharifa lives in Kandahar. First she was my student, then when she graduated high school started to work for AIWR's center. This week she sent me a FB message and her brother, who's gotten to Kabul, asked me for a letter proving her work for AIWR. The organization has provided a letter. We can only pray that she makes it out. 


AIWR has gotten a woman to Poland and another to India. I hope more make it out.  


I hope a NATO leader steps up and leads because Biden's not up to it. His ineptitude will cost thousands of lives. 


I hope we have a better week next week so I feel like sharing last weekend's fun.



Comments

  1. This has been heavy on my mind too. I hope you have good news to share about your friends next week. Praying for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There's no point in being negative. I'm hoping and praying for a good outcome for them all. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. I hope all your students and their families stay safe and are able to get out of harm’s way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi SMK.

    I agree that our president is at best a failure and that thousands are going to die before the dust settles. More agonizing is that our media, many social media leaders and even our courts allowed all this to happen. I'm disgusted with it all and have never felt so powerless.
    From the better news pile: I'm hearing that many charities are stepping up to try and save some of the folks that Biden and his party have trapped there. We may yet hear some great stories of people being rescued. I still doubt that Biden and his party will never pay for the damage they've done.
    And this was me trying to be positive. Ugh.
    I'm going to stick with creating stories someone might get a laugh from.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a heartbreaking situation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sepia Saturday

Mural Monday

Sepia Saturday