Weekend Coffee Share

 

Weekend Coffee Share is a time for us to take a break out of our lives and enjoy some timely catching up with friends (old and new)!


If we were having coffee, I'd tell you I have a tentative job offer with the Small Business Administration as a paralegal working on a temporary basis for their Disaster Assistance unit. I had a 5 minute interview and was sent some forms to fill out online. The operation involves research for the government's stimulus programs (known as PPE). I have to have a background check and 


I've become absorbed with the fight for Liberty in Cuba. There's little news this week since the Cuban government has turned off the internet. As far as I know, there aren't any foreign journalists in Cuba. Newspapers and other news outlets don't have much. The best they can do is to interview people who've left Cuba. I discovered a couple that makes YouTube videos about life in Cuba comparing grocery stores and such. Here's a livestream with their reaction and insights into current events in Cuba.



Today I went to a book club meeting. The hostess offered a terrific lunch and we discussed travel writer Dervla Murphy's Full Tilt about her 1960s journey from Ireland to India by bike. It was a lively discussion with some people hating the book, and some loving this classic travelogue.

For this Monday's cocktail hour we were surprised when the hostess fed us a full meal. Brats, Italian sausage or chicken sausage on these unique buns with a fabulous cole slaw. Dessert was grilled peaches with spiced marscapone cream.



On the way home from the book club, I stopped by the noteworthy Bohemian National Cemetery where they have an area for Cubs fans. It evokes Wrigley Field and its ivied brick walls. 



Tutoring was canceled this week for an Afghan holiday. 


I watched: Melville's Le Samouraï, a terrific cat and mouse film.  


I tried: Graeter's Caramel Macchiato ice cream and highly recommend it.


I read: Bjørn Lomborg's False Alarm and Charles Finch's The Vanishing Man.

Comments

  1. I bet there is a lot we could learn from Cuba and its history, if only those stores could make it out AND we cared enough to pay attention. The problem is that I fear both are likely too far a stretch for most Americans.
    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a very good week. Thank you for linking with #weekendcoffeeshare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was raised just across the Indiana line from Chicago so the Cubs were always #1! Good luck with the job interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happened with the tentative SBA job offer?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sepia Saturday

Mural Monday

Sepia Saturday