Weekend Coffee Share

 

Weekend Coffee Share is a time for us to take a break out of our lives and enjoy some timely catching up with friends (old and new)!


If we were having coffee, we'd be outside enjoying the sunshine and the not too hot day. 


I'd tell you that Wednesday I went to the Chicago History Museum to do more research on Marion Drake and her race against the infamous Bathhouse John. I'm spoiled with the online databases. At the museum, I had to use microfilm and go through every page of the old newspapers to find relevant stories. The problem is so many quirky stories or cute cartoons pull me in so it's very time consuming.


Tuesday the family gathered for dinner at Tufano's near the University of Illinois, Chicago. It's a neat part of town and this homey Italian place has lots of good food. The occasion was to meet my niece's boyfriend who's visiting. He's a fine young man majoring in Pre-Med. After dinner we went to a nearby Italian ice place as is the custom for my brother, our host.





I'd tell you that I'm watching the Olympics. I wasn't enthralled with the Opening Ceremony and often switched channels, but the march of nations was interesting. I've enjoyed watching sports I rarely see: shalom canoeing, swimming, gymnastics, diving, and more. I prefer to watch the amateurs. I never thought opening the games up to pros made sense, though it has made the Olympics and NBC money.


I'd tell you I just finished watching Swordsman of Doom. I'm not sure what to think of this samurai film. There sure was a lot of violence. More than usual. I'll get a review up soon. 




Comments

  1. Sounds like you had a very good week. I watched a few Olympic highlights of Team Canada. Thank you for your #weekendcoffeeshare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've watched some of the olympics, but not a lot. Thank you for having coffee with us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya SMK, Sorry for being so late to the coffee share this weekend. I was able to get my post done Friday morning before work, but we left for some vacation time with our youngest that evening and have been on the road or with him ever since. Monday am is the first chance I've had to do my rounds.
    I'm not a sports or TV guy so did not even know the Olympics was happening again. Thanks for helping me out from beneath my rock.
    I recall breaking into a university library to do some research needed for a high school project once and it was cool having the place to myself, and yes, I too lost lots of time to the micro film machines in those days.
    But that was another life time ago now. I'll bet they have alarms installed to prevent such things now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course I was monitoring the Olympics USA softball team being that my cousin was playing. But I didn’t see any of those games as I don’t subscribe to cable TV.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mural Monday

Sepia Saturday

Sepia Saturday